Sunday, November 29, 2015

Krabi

Two cups of coffee did little to cure my Thai whiskey hangover. I followed the directions on the note next to my bed and woke my neighbor to catch the 10am ferry. It was simple to buy the ticket right before getting on the boat and if it had been sold out, there were two more ferries later in the day. 

I lost my friend sometime between walking downstairs and buying my ticket but he was on the boat when I got there. He's also going to Bangkok through Krabi but he's taking an overnight bus (that costs more than my flight and gets him there an hour before I do). 

After checking into the pak up hostel, I went for a walk through the town with a really cool personal trainer/gym teacher from the Netherlands and another girl from Germany. The hostel is a converted school and is one of the nicest places I've stayed since leaving home. 

We walked along the river and explored the area a little. I had wanted to get to the tiger temple, which is 1237 steps up a mountain but the busses there weren't running today and I didn't feel like paying for a cab. On our walk, we passed a few monks coming out of a temple and went to spend about an hour exploring it. In Asia, temples hide in the most mundane places. 


I was sharing my room with a girl from Minnesota and a Jewish guy from California. He's checking on a product release in China and stopped by Thailand for a week on his way home. Not a bad set up. 

We walked around the night market in the pouring rain and got some street food for dinner. Vendors are friendly and always ask me to say hello to Obama for them. He's seems to be a popular president in this part of the world. 

The bar near the hostel was a perfect mix of active and calm and everyone was very open to meeting new people. There's also a huge diversity of experiences and life stages. It's not unusual to meet people who have been backpacking for a year right next to someone on a week long trip. Traveling alone makes it so easy to make friends. I had a couple drinks, played pool with some girls from holland and then went to sleep. 

-AB

Krabi town
Back on the mainland
Backpack life






No comments:

Post a Comment