Monday, November 2, 2015

Homesick

Right before I went to sleep last night, I got an email and texts from my family telling me that my great uncle had died. 
He had been sick for the past few years but was a big part of my sisters' and my childhood. Our grandfathers died when we were really young or before we were born and he filled part of that role for us. 

The power went out soon after I found out and it was frustrating not being able to talk to my sisters and parents. The wifi worked for a couple minutes in the morning and I was able to talk a little with my grandma and text with my sisters. I can't remember a milestone in any of our lives that uncle Marvin wasn't present for and I wish there was some way I could be there for his funeral tomorrow to spend time and share stories with family who loved him. 

Biku asked me how I was feeling and I told him about my uncle. His reply was that the only certainty is that if you are born, you will die. 

Familiar faces would be very welcome today and its hard to have such an active and foreign day planned. We're going to Bhubaneswar to see Biku's medical school and maybe meet some of his friends. I'm glad I was able to go for a long solo run morning. I woke up before Connor and ran for almost two hours and it helped clear my head a little. 

We'll miss you, Uncle Marvin

No comments:

Post a Comment