Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Draw me like one of your French girls

Just before seven is the perfect time to go running. It's not quite sweltering hot yet and some of the villages are still waking up for the day. It's also right before school starts. Near the hospital, the kids wave and say good morning from their shared bicycles (usually 2 to a bike) or walking in small herds behind a sari-clad woman bursting with color. When I get out to the river road past the second village, I'm passed by two rickshaws crammed full of 8-10 children (if it were in New York, it would comfortably hold two plus the driver). When they pass, they all shout and stick their heads and hands out the side to cheer me on. I'm also usually passed by Rohit, the pharmacist, and many of the school teachers and hospital staff who know me. It's a nice break from the usually sullen stares of the villagers I don't yet know. 

I ran for about an hour and then met Biku to do rounds. He's starting to have me do more and I'm beginning to learn how to take a history as well (in Odia). I don't understand any of the answers to my questions yet but Biku or the nurses are always with me to help communicate. I also gave a few IV drugs and a couple IM shots (under close supervision and with patient encouragement). 

Connor followed us for a few minutes and took some pictures. Around noon, we met up with the nurses (they slept in) and went to watch Connor teach a drawing class. Citta sends out letters from the students to donors every year and they're adding drawings to this one.

I love working with kids. I was mostly distracting during class, handing out the sweets I save in my pocket from baba-g, confusing them with magic tricks, making faces, etc, but I was also a little helpful in their education. I'm planning to go by the school on quiet patient days to help some of the teachers and students work on their English. 

The nurses also loved the class and got along great with the kids. After lunch, we learned how to play that 4 player card game I see everyone playing here with Ana, Goreti, Biku and myself. And then went to play some cricket. One of the guys from the village has been asking me to show him ab and back exercises so I did that today too. When the kids saw me teaching him, they all came over to workout with us. 

Back at the hospital, I was stopped by someone in the women's clinic and had a 10 minute conversation with her. I hardly understood any of it, but I used most of the twenty things I know how to say and lots of gesturing. I think she is from Puri, has a son here, likes my shirt, and lives directly under me. Or something like those things. 

We played some more cards with the headlamp because for the past few days, the power has been out more often than not, and on our way to dinner, stopped to check in on a patient who was deteriorating a little. After making sure she was stable, we discussed the case with the other Doctor, Biku and the nurses. It's amazing how both Odia and Spanish medical terms are essentially all English words. It's been great being able to practice my Spanish but I keep trying to talk to the Indians in Spanish and end up confusing everybody. 

Big day of surgeries tomorrow and I'm waking up early again to run with the nurses. 

-AB

Indian running
Beautiful river children
I know some people


















No comments:

Post a Comment