Sunday, November 8, 2015

Accidentally joined a cult.

Goreti and I went on a short run this morning. We were stopped by the villager I've been helping for the past few days. I've been helping him load sacks of rice onto his bicycle when I run by him. Today we had a couple minute conversation where I think he asked why we run back and forth and get all sweaty but I have no clue if that's correct at all. 

The school kids now all know my name and shout it as we run by. Eventually, I'm going to find someone who wants to join us. 

Biku had been going back and forth on if there would be surgeries today and eventually the surgeon showed up. We saw a few more injuries from cows (one lost a toe) and a bicycle accident. They don't use anesthetic for most basic procedures and I feel really bad for the patients. Biku says they give some afterwards but it's definitely a different standard than back home. I watched them drain a hematoma above the eye and it was cool, in a horribly repulsive kind of way. 

A couple days ago, we found out that Doctor Mohanti does yoga for three hours every day and I asked him if he would teach me. He said something about it being a secret and more than exercise but he would find out from his guru if he could teach us. 

Two gurus came down from the city and we met them at the school around 2 pm. I can't talk too much about it, because we had to swear a vow of secrecy, but we were there for about 4 hours, watching him teach us. We didn't move during that time and I'm about 90% sure I joined a new religion by accident. 

It was dark by the time we were back to the hospital but there was a rare moment of wifi, so I tried to look into some travel plans before it died again. I was unsuccessful. We all hung out in the girls room(because they have a couch thing and lots more space) and then ate dinner. Ever since the girls mentioned that they love eggs, we haven't gone a meal without them. In the entire more than two weeks that Connor and I were here, we had a single egg, once, mixed in with some fish. I can't tell if I'm going to gain weight or not because my day usually oscillates between super hungry and too full to move. 

We talked for a little while after dinner and then I'm writing this, maybe reading a little and going to sleep. 

-AB 

Can't sit right
Yoga is the truth
Joined a cult



















1 comment:

  1. Please tell me the toe was not amputated without some type of analgesic.

    ReplyDelete