Thursday, October 29, 2015

Some updates & photos

Doo DOOO doo doo, doo DOO DOO doo!! Every morning around 6, the bus stops In Juanga. The entire way into town and while stopped, it plays its supremely loud musical horn. All busses here are equips with blinding colorful LED lights on the upper front and a super loud horn. 

The sounds here as constant as they are diverse. In addition to the bus in the morning, we have Ravens, pigeons and a multitude of other birds rising with the sun. Crickets and other insects do their part from the surrounding ride paddies The motorcycles start around 6:30 as people start getting up to go to school or start working. At night, packs of street dogs fighting each other in the courtyard below lull us to sleep. 

This morning around 5 am the wind blew my doors open and knocked my clothes off the mosquito net frame where they were drying. We have rain! Its around 7:30 now and usually it's way to hot to stay in bed, but the rain kept everything much cooler. I'm enjoying the chance to sleep in a little. Biku (and breakfast) usually aren't up until after 9 and my legs are a too sore for me to want to run, so I'm going to write a little more of this post and lounge until breakfast. 

People take photos of me. Random villagers that we have never met ask(pantomime) if they can take a picture of Connor and I. Or of us with them. Or both. It's how I imagine celebrities must feel. Maybe I'll start giving autographs too..  

Eating: They also watch me eat. Anytime I'm eating a meal with a new group of people, they all watch out of the corner of my eye to see if I'll eat with my hand or use the spoon often provided. I always eat with my hand and it's starting to feel pretty natural. The first couple times just didn't feel right but now I'm a pro. 

Pooping: definitely have still not mastered this skill. 

Odia: working on it and know some basic phrases. Trying to find a textbook or English Odia dictionary to help. 

When I went down stairs to sit outside the kitchen, Govinda serenaded us. The only words I recognized were "Alec, Michael, Connor, and hospital" 

It's raining a little here and it feels amazing. Unfortuately, that means there will be very few patients here. A gynecologist is coming around 2 and he'll be back Sunday to do surgery. 

Here are photos from yesterday. All the people I've met love taking pictures and video of everything. It's a little weird, but it makes this blog more interesting. 



The surgical scrubs drying on the roof. 







No comments:

Post a Comment