Thursday, October 29, 2015

Doctors must have patients

Biku said to be downstairs for breakfast at 8 when I asked him the first time and "yes 8, 9" when I asked again. I didn't get a ton of sleep because I caught Biku's cold (because he sneezes directly into his hands and then touches my face..). I found the NyQuil that I brought around 1 am and slept great after then. When I told Biku I might have caught his cold he felt really bad and wanted to perscibe me cold medicine. 

We ate breakfast around 9:30 and then went to see the patients who had already arrived. There were already a bunch more congregating outside the entrance and Dr. Mohanti was already there seeing patients when we joined him. 

The bulk of the patients had hernias, hydrocele, or appendicitis. And we also saw child hernia, typhoid, severe anemia and anal fissures. The examination table is right behind the desk where we sit and it's separated by a thin curtain. The patient histories are conducted in Odia but the charts (very very brief charts) are in English and the doctors all speak at least a little English because their medical school textbooks were English. When I have trouble understanding new medical terminology, I ask them to write the word in my notebook and look it up in the textbooks later. 

Biku said the surgeon would be arriving at 10 so naturally he showed up at 11:30. When he walked into the room, everybody stood and Biku gave up his seat. The way they treated him seems sort of like the way residents would treat the head of their hospital times two or three. There were now 3 doctors and one nurse in this small room with patients and people would just wander in and out whenever they wanted. It seemed pretty chaotic. I saw about 20 patients with the surgeon. He sees every case that might need his services. At around 2, we went up to the OT and scrubbed in. It's very strange being in an operating room in flip flops. We left our shoes outside and put on the clean sandals inside. Having open toed shoes in a medical setting just feels wrong to me. The first surgery was a herniectomy with a non-descending testicle. They used spinal anesthesia and I watched the entire procedure with Biku explaining different parts to me. There were two more surgeries scheduled for right after but I left after this one. I was feeling pretty sick from my cold and probably a little lightheaded from watching the surgery. I figured it was better to leave for a little while and see more tomorrow than pass out and distract everyone during the next operation. It was a really cool procedure  and I'm looking forward to more. 

** right after I wrote this, I had some water, and went back into the room. I watched two more hernia surgeries and one hydrocele. Have you ever seen a scrotum the size of a football? .. I have. 

The power went out durning the last operation and the nurses just grabbed a flashlight and we kept operating. The generator kicked in a couple minutes later. The OT was also one of the only places in the compound that has AC and it felt wonderful until the power went out. We were operating from 12 to around 5. 

Afterwards, I laid in Biku's bed for a while. He's definitely way too snuggly, but I think that's probably a cultural thing. 

We found Connor (he'd been working at the school) and asked govinda if we could go to Niele, a nearby village to buy some supplies we've been missing. He said it's better to go during the day because people drink alcohol at night. We went to meet our frisbee friends instead by the river. Some of the younger kids were there (successfully) catching fish in a gill-net. This is the first night it's both clear and dark enough to see some stars. Usually we have foggier skies than New York City. 

We ran into Rohit on our way back and he said he wants to have a party for us on Sunday night. I volunteered Connor and I to cook a feast for the hospital staff (and Rohit and Baba-G). But it may be slightly difficult to cook for so many people with unfamiliar utensils and ingredients. . Doikibah. 

Dinner isn't for at least 2.5 hours and I might be able to read some of my book for the first time since getting here. . Never mind. Going to watch another Bollywood movie with Biku. 

It's amazing how fast ones standards can change. I think it's nice Whenever the power stays on for a whole shower. Or when I'm only sweating through most of my clothes. I'm clearly starting to adapt. 

-AB 

Surgeries excite
Power isn't needed here
Barefoot toes wiggle





4 comments:

  1. Hows your aim? Getting any better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey do you know what nerves they used? I recently learned all the "caudal" nerves and I was wondering if it was similar to the dog. Lumbosacral plexus? pudendal n.? Did they enter via the side through the intervertebral foramen? So many questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They entered through the intervertebral foramen between l2 and l3 or L4/L5. It just numbed all the caudal nerves at that point with 4ml of bupicaine

    ReplyDelete