Monday, October 26, 2015

Puri, beach and beer

Note to self: next time Connor sleeps in the middle. Biku likes to snuggle in the middle of the night. 
Indian men seem to be much more touchy with other men than Americans are. I've seen a bunch of friends holding hands. Biku also loves to rub Connors shaved head and play-fight with me. On the other hand, there is also absolutely zero contact between men and women. There were several at the picnic yesterday and the men and women did not intermingle at all. It did feel like middle school all over again. 
I'm in bed about to go to sleep listening to a pack of dogs fighting in what I guess could be called the courtyard. 

- we woke up later than we have all trip by several hours. Usually(like today) I'm awake around 5 when the sun rises and comes in through the windows and door but the room in Biku's house had no open windows. 
We were served what we thought was breakfast of two giant packaged jelly Cinnamon rolls each. Biku wasn't eating any and said he was not hungry. We soon found out why. Soon after finishing, Biku's grandmother and aunt brought out a whole meal of chipati and vegetables. We definitely don't have meal times figured out and I usually end up stuffed for most of the day. 

After second breakfast, we drove down to the beach. It was massive and stretched out as far as I could see in either direction. There were ramshackle huts set up along the shore selling fish freshly caught in these long, stand-on-top fishing boats that were poled out into the bay. Biku said that he wanted a beer and asked if we would have one too. After assuring him that I'd like one, we went to a restaurant near the shore and got into a hushed discussion with the waiter. Biku said he knows that they have beer and that his father is very close with them and they kept looking at us and insisting that there was no beer (from what I understood). We went back to the car and drove around the city looking for a bar and a place to park. We found one and went into a dark basement where everyone spoke in whispers. Biku, Bikas and I each ordered a kingfisher, which cost the equivalent of about $2. I didn't realize it, but the beer came in bottles that were at least 24oz. The back of the bottle said that they have 5-8% alcohol and a big sign on the wall said that bars close at 10:30pm. Drinking is definitely not a big part of Indian culture and I think this may be one of my only beers during my trip. 

We went back to Biku's house for a giant lunch of rice and uncomfortably-spicy vegetables after a quick nap. Biku informed us that his grandma would be coming back to Juanga with us to go to a doctor in Bhubaneswar later in the week. 

During the two hour ride back, Biku's grandma spit some of her beetle juice out the window and almost all of it flew directly back through the window and all over my shirt and pants. There was dark red liquid with chunky bits and everything. 

I also forgot to mention yesterday that we went to an open air market to buy some sunscreen, bug spray, antiseptic, a knife and a razor for Connors head. Biku insisted that we should buy a safety razor and blades (what people used in the 50's to shave). It was very cool walking through the chaos of the market. 

After getting back to Juanga, we convinced Biku to workout with us and he kept up for about a minute of our twenty minute routine. He's excited though and wants to join us again. I tried calling home for the first time and was able to talk to my sister, Jenna-bean for a little while. The Internet access here is almost good enough for a phone call. 

We had an early dinner at 9:45 PM and then wrote a little before bed at 11:30. Biku gave us some magic chalk to put around our beds in an attempt to keep the bugs out. 

I think one of the side effects of the antimalarial medication I'm on is "vivid dreams" and I've been having a very strange experience right before I fall asleep most nights. I'm definitely still awake, but I start having these super vivid daydreams, almost like I'm watching a movie of a memory. (I know that doesn't help explain them at all, but that's what they are). 

Anyway, I'm about to go run before breakfast and then I think I'm going to be seeing patients all day. Wish me luck!

--just went for a run. Did 11 laps from the school to the hospital. Ran later today so some of the kids were up and they would shout my name when I passed by. All of them also said they want to play frisbee. We told them we'd come by this evening to play. One positive of running the same short section over and over is that the villagers get used to your presence very fast. 

Going to shower, eat and start work! 

-AB 

Beer in India
Don't let anyone see you
Drank in hushed whispers 










No comments:

Post a Comment