Saturday, December 12, 2015

Flights

"We don't trust Nepali police", the air India staff said in response to my question about why we had to undergo a second security screening. 

My flight was now 3 hours late and I had been in the freezing concrete warehouse that passes for an international airport for way too many hours. 

* It's been 9 hours since I left my hostel and said goodbye to Rishi. Both of my flights were delayed. I'm at the airport in Dehli now and it says the flight to Bhubaneswar is 45 minutes late but doikebah. I'm trying to find a way to contact Biku to tell him not to come to the airport so early. I've gotten most of he way through the last book on my kindle, A Fine Balance, which takes place in India and was recommended to me by the nurse who gave me typhoid and meningitis vaccines. 

I'm sitting down to eat, more out of boredom than hunger. I asked for, and revived two meals on my first flight. There's internet here but you can only access it by having a text sent to my phone.. Which isn't an option for me. I'm strongly considering taking out the Tigers and goats game to play by myself. 

While sitting here. I started thinking about the importance of time. We can never get it back or add to it. I don't want to waste it and was struggling to fill this time in the airport. I walked down the length of the terminal a few times. Danced to long-forgotten music on my phone while riding the moving sidewalks and did yoga in a forgotten corner of the airport when I decided I couldn't read anymore. I also spent some time flipping through the lonely planet guide to the USA that I found in the bookstore here. I'm glad that I've been able to see a bunch of the country but the book made me want to take another trip. Maybe to the south. Oh! I also spent about an hour trying my hand at songwriting. I haven't gotten very far but maybe one day you'll hear my work on the radio. 

After 9 hours at the airport, I left to Bhubaneswar in Tha last row of the plane next to a large smelly man who kept falling asleep on my shoulder. 

-AB

Every flight is late
Fathead drooling in shoulder 
Airline travel joy


A Dehli advertisement for "India's first unisex washing machine":


Yes, those are mountains peeking through the clouds




No comments:

Post a Comment